29 July 2014

How to Pack a Suitcase

So, this one is being written directly after posting the last one. The title may be a bit misleading but I was having a conversation recently about packing and how you always want to leave a little room in your suitcase so you can bring stuff home with you. And when I think about that I think it’s the perfect analogy for any time you go abroad, and maybe even just a good analogy for new experiences in life in general.

Because when I went abroad I brought things I knew I’d throw away: shampoo, beauty products, etc. I went in knowing I could probably ditch those for cooler things when I came back. But there were also things I brought I hadn’t necessarily intended on getting rid of. One prime example was my boots. I bought them at Target for $30 maybe two years ago now. They fell apart about halfway through the semester. I held onto them as long as I could, reluctant to spend money on new ones. But eventually I couldn’t avoid it. I threw them away and came back with some snazzy new ones that got me through the rest of my trip.

So I think in a lot of ways, that transitions well into my last few lists I made those last few days abroad that I do want to share.

There’s really no way to summarize these 5 months. Even if you clicked on every link on this blog and read every article it wouldn’t do it justice. I did write a list of all of the memories that came into my head which ended up being about 5 pages and which I won’t be typing here. But I got to do some incredible things. Traveling to France, Monaco, Spain, Germany, Austria, The Czech Republic, and Ireland. 17 flights. There were so many new foods and new experiences that I got to pack into my suitcase. Things that I may honestly never be able to fully share with anyone, but that I will always get to have. Running to a magic fountain in Barcelona. Eating kebabs. Pub Crawls. Castles. The beach in Cannes. Carnival in Nice. The Suquet. Unforgettable 3 hour long dinners. Trains. Cathedrals. Amazing people. Lock bridges. The French language, la plus belle langue du monde <3. Metros. Stromae. More freedom than I might ever have again in my life as well as some of the purest and happiest moments I’ve had in my 20 years here on earth.

So, this may or may not be one of my last posts. Because it may be the only and best way to make an attempt to summarize. These are short little lists, but they’re the big things.

List #1: Things I’m Taking with Me (or already brought since I’m home)

·         New sense of confidence
·         L’esprit critique
·         Not just accepting everything
·         4 hour meals (or at least 2)
·         Taste for new foods
·         Greater appreciation for the little things
·         Redefined faith
·         Stronger convictions
·         Increased curiosity and eagerness for adventure
·         The French language/culture: philosophy, logic, family, pride, hedonism
·         Irish heritage?: welcoming ,positivity, kindness
·         A newer slightly less naïve me
·         Joy, thankfulness/gratitude, humbleness, understanding, peace
·         Nutella and europants

May not be perfect, but a good reminder. And the next one is even shorter but I think even more significant.

List #2: Things I’m Leaving Behind

·         Rushing through life
·         Judgment of others (going to try at least)
·         A younger more naïve me
·         Ignorance
·         Not accepting myself or my beliefs
·         Shame/guilt

·         Little pieces of my heart; chapters of my life

No comments:

Post a Comment