18 March 2014

New Promises: Paris Day 1

So Paris was too incredible to fit into one blog post; therefore, I'm doing it in smaller, more manageable installments!

Day 1:
Left bright and early to fly out of Nice. Got to fly Air France which was nice and very exciting so I can check that off the bucket list now. We got to our hotel in the early afternoon and took a bus tour around the city that lasted about 2 hours. What was funny for me was driving by certain buildings and learning the significance/history to them and realizing I’d definitely been there before but NEVER knew those things. For example, the Place de la Concorde I drove through multiple times in my last trip without realizing/knowing that that’s where they would guillotine people including Marie Antoinette!! What?! And also Les Invalides which I didn’t get to go visit this time but would love to another time. Napoleon’s tomb is there! Crazy!

We had some free time after the tour but I napped until dinner. We got metro passes and took the metro to go have dinner in a bateau-mouche (a boat) that goes along the Seine while you eat. It was pretty much perfection. It was sunset and we got to see the Eiffel Tower light up from the Seine and… oh yeah they played “La Vie en Rose” by Édith Piaf while we were floating there. I actually started to tear up a bit because of how utterly incredible it was.

After that a lot of our AIFS group ended up going to the Eiffel Tower. We watched it light up and then actually took the stairs to the second level which was semi-frightening since I’m not the biggest fan of heights but it was cheaper and less of a line and we’re all broke college kids (ok, maybe not everyone here, but the majority). We did end up taking the elevator to the top, which I know will make my mom a bit sad since I was too scared to go with her two years ago. But it was very cool and I got to have a really incredible talk with my roommate Grace just looking out at Paris at night.

Eiffel Tower lit up! With a bit of editing done on the photo.
I just couldn’t even begin to fathom just how long that tower’s been there. It’s older than the country that I come from. And beyond that, that place holds so much significance to so many millions of people besides myself. There are people who see it every day and people that will only ever get to see it in pictures. People who’ve visited there with so many different stories and experiences and situations going on in their lives. There are people who’ve stood there and looked out with family, friends, or a lover (oh la la!). And at the same time there are people who’ve come with grief, heartache.

For me, I’m lucky enough to have been twice now. And both experiences have been completely different. When I was in France two years ago I had just graduated high school. I had platinum blonde hair, I had not started going to Chapman, I was dating a guy who a few months later was going to drastically change my life (through a weird experience—but definitely for the better—I’m sure a lot of you know the story). I didn’t have a belly button piercing. I didn’t have any idea what fun I had ahead in college. I didn’t have the faith that I have now. I didn’t know I’d be back only 2 years later.

But this time, instead of being with my mom (who, of course, I love dearly and we will always have that experience)—I got myself there pretty much on my own. I’d been living in France for over a month and was surrounded by all these people who I really just met but honestly who I feel I’ve known so much longer. This time around I had a bit more life experience, a lot more knowledge of French, red hair, a belly button piercing (not sure why that’s significant but it’s a funny detail I guess right?), and, although this may seem like an exaggeration, I now have an entirely new outlook on my life. And I couldn’t be more thankful for that. However, one thing that I’ve found to be the same between the two experiences was that 2 years ago I had NO idea what life was going to throw at me in the years to come or how much things would change. And now, especially with all the new experiences I’ve had recently, I find myself in a very similar boat. I have ZERO idea where my life is going to take me from here. But I do know that God has blessed me enough to bring me to this point and I trust him wholeheartedly moving forward. I just continue to be amazed and nothing but thankful each and every day.


“I could provide a long list of all… the hurts and missteps and conflicts… But then come the golden moments, and these are the time when everyone must stop and smile and clear the air… It is here, in the uncluttered heart, that the Author and Finisher of our faith writes new songs, new stories, new promises.” 
–Robin Jones Gunn 

No comments:

Post a Comment