18 February 2014

La Nourriture




So, I figured I should dedicate at least one post to this, especially since I’ve taken a lot of iPhone pictures of the things I’ve been eating but have yet to really post any.

Realistically, I haven’t eaten out all too much. We’ve gone out a few times; however, I’m trying to save money by using my meal plan and eating as much as possible in the cafeteria.
Breakfast is served from 8:05-8:55 and generally consists of what’s in the photo:

There’s a buffet style table with lots of bread, a toaster, jam, fruits, cereal (usually a chocolate kind, honey smacks, and corn flakes), yogurt, hard-boiled eggs (which have a tendency to be hit and miss as my roommate, Sky, has found out the hard way), milk, orange juice, coffee, and  hot chocolate. It’s always the same, but I have pretty simple taste and don’t mind the repetition.

Lunch is a bit more unpredictable. I have a tendency to get there late because my class runs over a bit. So I typically end up sitting with random people because I’ll miss the mad rush where everyone grabs their seat. Mais ce n'est pas mal. I enjoy talking to new people it’s just slightly more difficult if they don’t speak either English or French, which I’ve experienced with a group of Japanese students and a bunch of Italians who were here for a week.

ANYWAYS back to the food. There’s always a salad bar and bread. Then they bring the main course out to the table. It varies all the time. Today was beef stew. Sometimes it’s fish. Sometimes chicken. One time we had lasagna. Another we had this potato, cheese, and bacon casserole thing that I LOVED. Surprisingly. Because for those who know me, I severely dislike potatoes. But these were incredible.



Dinner is a different story. It’s starts at 19:05 (7:05) and is a buffet. However, recently it’s been the biggest/randomnest mix of things. They’re all good though! Last night was croque monsieurs, onion rings, French fries, little sausages on a stick, and pasta. With bread, of course. 



Also, there’s brunch on the weekends which is the breakfast bar but with some additional things like deli meats, cheese, croissants, and sometimes scrambled eggs or bacon.

So, there’s a little slice (yes, pun intended) of daily life here at the Collège International de Cannes. I’ve been just trying to be open minded and embrace it! You guys would be proud of some of the stuff I’ve been trying!

Outside of the college I’ve had some amazing carbonara which was served with a raw egg yolk in it! I've also had some incredible desserts and some amazing pizza. We're pretty close to Italy here so pizza and pasta are pretty common in town. 




Also, I took a cooking class where we learned how to make this really good dish with duck in this yummy sauce with mashed potatoes in truffle oil. And we made chocolate soup for desert topped with a caramel whipped cream made from scratch and a mint leaf. 



I’m sure I’ll have to do another post along these lines soon—but thought it would be fun to let you guys in on my incredibly carb filled diet. I haven’t gone a single meal without eating French bread the entire time I’ve been here… and I plan on keeping things that way. 



No comments:

Post a Comment