12 May 2014

Le Festival du Film: Internship Day One

So, today was my first nerve-racking but also exciting day as an intern. First time ever. Since the festival starts Wednesday I was asked to come today and help set up. So, I barely slept last night out of nervousness I’d oversleep and excitement. Got up early and got dressed, got a pack lunch from the college, and walked about a half hour walk to an apartment where Myriad Pictures is. I left plenty early which was good because I found the apartment building easily but didn’t know what name to buzz to let me in so that was confusing but a woman who works there helped me out. So with that I went up to the fourth floor… took a deep breath… rang the doorbell AND…

Met Melissa! Whom I’ve been emailing with and who was instantly very nice and friendly. Without going over every boring detail I helped her move furniture around to prep for a team of people who were going to come in. Basically, we turned the suite/apartment into an office space all day. A team came in and set up panels that created little offices. We made a reception area with a desk. We got TVs installed. We got internet and phones set up. I house/suite sat while her and this French woman, Rebecca, got a TON of water, sparkling water, juice, wine, cheese, meat, groceries, etc.

But besides all of that I got to get a slightly better grasp on what I’ll be doing. Basically, I’m a bit of a hostess to the clients. Rebecca will be the receptionist and takes care of the boss’s (the salespeople’s) reservations and lunches and stuff. Melissa and I will be checking up on the 11 screenings they have going on as well as accommodating people before the meetings with refreshments (oh yeah—on the terrace which overlooks the infamous Croisette—main street of Cannes that everything happens on—and which has a view of the Palais du Festival just to the right and overlooks the beach AND now has a huge sign wrapped around it that says “Myriad Pictures.”) I was also informed my breakfasts and lunches are taken care of. I’ll be there from about 8 AM, when the meetings start, to about 6 PM. And then after..? Well, it’s going to be crazy! I’m hoping to get to go to some of the film screenings, which should be happening all the time. Hopefully I’ll get to walk to red carpet at least once (not really sure how yet but fingers crossed). Also hopefully will get to get into some fun parties and stuff! So it’s going to be about a week of a ton of work and parties and no sleep. Good thing these people drink a lot of coffee.

I also spent today learning about all of the movies they have in production or out right now that they’ll be selling. What the company does is they have all of the rights to movies and people from distribution companies from all over the world then come to festival to talk to companies like this one and buy the rights to distribute those movies within their countries. So, the salespeople will have meetings back to back pretty much every day trying to pitch and sell their movies. Which all look pretty incredible. We even have one that is nominated in the festival’s “Un Certain Regard” category. The film is titled “The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby: Him and Her.” That category is for the films that didn’t quite fit the criteria for the Official Selection but still stood out and are being recognized! So that’s pretty exciting.

At this point I’m tired because it was a long day. But, I’m very excited to meet my bosses tomorrow (who were flying in tonight). I’m also excited to see everything come together a bit more and get my badge for the festival! Plus there’s a lot more to look forward to including a party this Friday night which I “have” to help at and get to attend for a movie with Hillary Swank, Josh Duhamel, and Emmy Rossum… so umm yeah… it’s going to be… incredible.

No comments:

Post a Comment